-
February 7th, 2003, 03:05 AM
#1
Inactive Member
I've decided before I have to leave my house and experience severe money crunch (the divorce)...I want a new tripod!! (Wouldn't want to get towels or dishes or anything practical, now would I???!!) Anyhow, after doing some looking around, I think I've decided on a Bogen tripod...about 146.00...anyone have any thoughts on this model? I decided I don't want a quick release head, because I'll be using this for my super 8, 35mm still, and sony minidv cameras, and I want to be able to just screw the camera on w/o having a release plate always attached to the camera...whatcha think? ohhh..post #300!!!! Do I get a party? Mikeyb Bogen Tripod
-
February 7th, 2003, 03:28 AM
#2
HB Forum Moderator
Well, I like quick release plates. The key is to buy additional quick release plates, so that way you put them on all of your cameras at the same time and never have to think about it again.
The other thing to consider is getting a tripod with a ball joint on the bottom of the center tripod shaft so that you can instantly center your tripod and camera on uneven terrain.
-
February 9th, 2003, 11:37 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Is that the one with the "octagon mounting plate?
I've had that model it's ok. Carful not to use a camera that's to heavy it can in some case come out. The release know can be activated by mistake big jacket rubbing against a camera bag.
Fortunately for me I did not brake a camera but came close to a couple coming off the tripod head.
I can't remember the head/tripod number but I think I know which model your talking about...it's ok it will get you going you can always upgrade later.
-
February 10th, 2003, 02:01 AM
#4
Inactive Member
I was going to get this as a replacement for my Solidex tripod I have now...I don't think that company is in business anymore...I checked on Ebay, cant find quick release plates for it..also it's pretty heavy, wanted something a bit lighter...does the fluid head give you pretty good solid pans? Or is it pretty loose?
-
February 10th, 2003, 11:30 PM
#5
Inactive Member
It's a real individual call.
My tripod a Bogan with the 3066 head is a step up from what I us to have, (the one your getting I think) but not as good as what Digital/Age has. But it cost a lot less than $5000 - $7,000.00I
I think any fairly good pan head will look good on wide angle shots. As you move more to telephoto on your lens you will start to see if not feel any lack of smoothness. I say this because I use this very same tripod at Church, running a video camera with a very long lens. When I am racked out, stability, draft and smooth panning. Out of the three panning is the least affected.
This is all subjective, any way you can try before you by...rent on, borrow one etc?
F.Y.I.
I got my 3066 head and tripod for my CP-16, the smaller tripod was just fine for super 8 and my Nikon.
-
February 11th, 2003, 12:07 AM
#6
Inactive Member
I might be better off getting the tripod in a camera store instead of off the net...more expensive, but at least I can see/touch/try first...better to spend 30 bucks more than to waste 150!
-
February 11th, 2003, 01:15 AM
#7
HB Forum Moderator
Mikey B, you've done it again...talk about a great topic. Ethics 101.
SOME people would go to the store, milk the poor salesman of their time and knowledge, ground the price down as low as possible, try the product out, and then buy it cheaper on the internet or through a mail order boxhouse.
(there's still time for you to be corrupted [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] )
But I applaud and laud your intended approach that if you are going to go the touchy feely route and check out the actual tripod in a store, that you buy it from that same place.
I suppose the real dilemma becomes if the price difference is HUGE between the store and the internet. If the salesperson in the store acts indifferently or distrusting towards you, it could be that they have been burned by the Looky-Lou who looks, touches, asks questions, then goes and buys the item on ebay or the internet.
The worst case scenario is the Looky-Lou going back to the store with the very item they checked out in the store (but bought from the internet) to get a few additional pointers on how the item works. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
-
February 11th, 2003, 05:02 AM
#8
HB Forum Moderator
hehehehe...
I'll tell you about my "out" clause in such a situation.
I just say to the sales person..."look, I don't mind paying 10% more because I got to come in to your store and check out the unit, but your price is "xyz" above what I can do elsewhere..."
I've called nerdy for having such a philosophy, but I'd rather not be the guy who buys a video camera, uses it for 29 days to make a low budget feature, then return it to the store for a full refund ...etc.
The big bugaboo for a lot of people isn't just the percentage difference in price, it's the SALES TAX
on top of the purchase. But my feeling is don't punish a local vendor because they must charge you sales tax and an out of state vendor does not.
-
February 11th, 2003, 04:34 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Thanks, Alex, I would feel guilty if I wasted the salesperson's time, then bought it off of the internet...I usually research the item thoroughly on the internet, and then either buy it there or at a store...I did look at a few camera stores in town when I was buying my slide projector, but the price difference was enormous compared to the internet,( 125.00 more) but I didn't waste anyone's time...I merely went into the stores to look at prices..I already knew the model/features I wanted. Besides, if you do your homework, the internet can be a wealth of information to make informed decisions about equipment. Besides, the camera store was the same place where I was told that "super 8 was a dead format", and that "the only stock made for super 8 anymore was kodachrome"....not!
-
February 11th, 2003, 07:09 PM
#10
Inactive Member
You did not say you were only spending #30.00...buy it how can you go wrong at that price.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">Originally posted by Super-8mm in the DigitalAge:
hehehehe...
I'll tell you about my "out" clause in such a situation.
I just say to the sales person..."look, I don't mind paying 10% more because I got to come in to your store and check out the unit, but your price is "xyz" above what I can do elsewhere..."
I've called nerdy for having such a philosophy, but I'd rather not be the guy who buys a video camera, uses it for 29 days to make a low budget feature, then return it to the store for a full refund ...etc.
The big bugaboo for a lot of people isn't just the percentage difference in price, it's the SALES TAX
on top of the purchase. But my feeling is don't punish a local vendor because they must charge you sales tax and an out of state vendor does not.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
"The Big Stores" can buy the good at much
less than the little stores can, and can pass some of the savings on to the customers
That's fine if you do not have any questions and don't need to try before you buy. I like at some of the big name or "On Line, " But I am also a beliver in shopping locally whenever possible.
Let's take Grand Rapids, MI. It's about the 80th. largest market in the US. (CITY RANKING) .
Grand Rapids has just to Camera stores... two real camera stores...ones a local chain of three stores. The last time I checked you can not get get a roll of Croma key Green or Blue seamless paper without a special order. As more small stores go out of business, or have to sell to the lowest common denominator ( like some of the mall photo chains, Grand Rapids has a few of theses stores, but in my oppinion they are not real camera stores. )
I don't believe in shoping at one store then buying from their competitor. As long as I have a resonable expectation that I might get the tiem from that particular store then tire kicking is on!
You will not be able to buy speciality film for your still camera, or have a good variety of accesories etc.
I hope this post is ok, I could not get the spell check to work.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 11, 2003 03:16 PM: Message edited by: bossjock-dp ]</font>
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks